Jump to Navigation
On Your Side Through Difficult Times

Post-Divorce Modifications

Georgetown, Texas, Divorce Modification Lawyer

When a divorce judgment is issued, it is considered final. However, a judgment cannot predict the future. When a substantial change occurs that affects a child support or child custody arrangement, the law may permit a party to seek modification of the original divorce decree or other court order. This is called a modification.

People seek modifications to make sure that their child support and child custody arrangements reflect their changed life circumstances. The Law Office of Lori Watson regularly represents people seeking to modify or enforce a divorce decree.

Call (512) 931-2121 to learn how a modification can affect you. Contact our family law office to speak to a modification attorney when times change.

What Is a Change of Circumstances?

Some things that may count as a change of circumstance under Texas law, include:

  • A job promotion that substantially increases the net income of a parent can result in a child support change
  • A job loss or decrease in salary that reduces the net income of one of the parents, in particular the non-custodial parent, can result in a child support change
  • A relocation in which one parent is moving to another state and the change necessitates a custody arrangement modification
  • A change in the child's needs due to physical illness, mental illness or other serious issues can justify a support modification
  • A home environment where there are drugs, violence, abuse or negligence can result in a change of custody

Seek the Help of an Austin Post Decree Settlement Attorney

Your divorce decree is a legally binding document. Under no circumstances should you stop paying child support before you seek the guidance of an experienced divorce modification attorney. Consequences for noncompliance can be serious and are entirely avoidable if you seek legal counsel first. We have helped hundreds of parents achieve workable outcomes and we are confident that we can help you.

Call us at (512) 931-2121 or contact our family law office through e-mail.

Clients say : "She was always realistic and positive about the case; the end result was very close to what was anticipated. Lori Watson truly cared about my case and its equitable resolution. Communication with her was effortless and personable, her responses timely and pertinent. I would confidently recommend the services of Lori Watson to not only my closest friends, but family members included."

Clients say : " I first approached Lori Watson to handle my divorce two years ago. In the initial consultation I was put at ease by her objectivity and insightful nature and knew I would be well represented. Early on she assessed what was becoming a dangerous situation and placed well thought out procedures in place that were intended to protect but at the same time not provoke unwanted actions."

Clients say : " I am the single mother of a 5 year old child. Our situation is somewhat complicated because my daughter’s father and I were never married and he lives out of state. My daughter has never lived with her father which has made it difficult for the two of them to form a strong parent/child relationship. I had an attorney, whom at the time was not practicing family law." read more >>

Clients say : " I hired Ms. Watson to help me get through probably one of the most difficult times of my life, my divorce and custody battle for my children. Throughout the long-drawn out battle, Lori was very professional, empathetic to my situation, but more importantly was always there by my side." read more >>

Clients say : " Lori handled my complicated divorce with an estranged wife and children with psychological issues. Lori quickly grasped what the main issue would be in a long term contested divorce and formulated a strategy to address it." read more >>

Clients say : " Many have encountered stereotypical lawyers that tend to give attorneys a negative image. Lori Watson does not fit that stereotype and takes a fresh approach to practicing family law. As one who is in need of a family lawyer knows, it is usually a very difficult time in life with many stressors and heightened emotions. My situation was especially trying and lasted nearly a year." read more >>

Practice Areas

How can we help you?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Client Information

Recent Posts

Review Us

Firm Information

Law Office of Lori Watson
804 S Main St
Georgetown, TX 78626

Phone: 512-931-2121
Fax: 512-930-0502

Georgetown Law Office Map
E-mail Us