Dividing Retirement Assets in Divorce

Georgetown Lawyer for Dividing Retirement Assets in Divorce

When dealing with the issue of property and asset division during a divorce, many couples are at odds over the division of any retirement accounts and/or benefits. It is important to fully understand how retirement accounts and assets are handled as part of the property division process. An experienced divorce lawyer can help you understand your rights to any assets.

The Law Office of Lori Watson provides clients with tailored representation in retirement asset division cases. Attorney Lori Watson works diligently to ensure that you get the share of the retirement assets that you deserve. She can also use her 20 years of experience to see that any retirement assets and benefits that are considered separate property remain yours. Our firm is a trusted ally in these types of cases, as we focus 100 percent of our energy on family law clients in Georgetown, Williamson County and throughout the surrounding Texas communities.

Get the help you need with all your divorce issues. Call (512) 931-2121. Contact our office for experienced, caring legal counsel from a Georgetown attorney for dividing retirement assets in divorce.

Retirement Account Division

As with any type of community property in Texas, retirement accounts are not necessarily divided 50-50, but in a manner that is fair and equitable.

When part of a retirement account, pension, stock options, profit-sharing or other employee benefits are awarded to one spouse during the divorce a Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO) is signed by the court. This order is then sent to the employer, as it dictates how the employer should distribute the benefits to each spouse. 401(k)s and other type of cash accounts will generally be distributed within 30 to 90 days of receipt of the QDRO. This type of order allows for a division of a retirement plan without the employee spouse having to take out a loan against the 401k to pay the non-employee spouse for their share of the retirement benefit. Our firm works to ensure that the QDROs are followed and that each spouse gets the appropriate amount of the retirement accounts.

Contact a Williamson County Attorney for Dividing Pensions

We provide compassionate and professional property division and divorce services to our clients. Please call (512) 931-2121 today or send our office an e-mail. Our Georgetown attorney for dividing retirement assets in divorce can evaluate your case during a consultation at our office.

Clients say : " I am the single mother of a 5 year old child. Our situation is somewhat complicated because my daughter’s father and I were never married and he lives out of state. My daughter has never lived with her father which has made it difficult for the two of them to form a strong parent/child relationship. I had an attorney, whom at the time was not practicing family law." read more >>