On Your Side Through
Difficult Times

Am I allowed to modify my child support order?

On Behalf of | Mar 6, 2020 | Child Support

While the divorce process itself can be extremely stressful, there can also be significant challenges in the aftermath. As a parent, you may have agreed to pay child support to ensure your child’s well-being and development.

But what if your circumstances have changed, and the decisions you made during the divorce no longer apply? What can you do?

When it comes to child support orders in Texas, you may be eligible for modification if:

  1. The order was created or last modified over three years ago.
  2. A significant change in circumstances has occurred since the order was created or last modified.

What qualifies as a significant change?

There are a few situations in which you may have the grounds to pursue a change in your child support order. These significant changes may include:

  • You lost your job.
  • Your income substantially increased or decreased.
  • You are financially supporting another child.
  • Your child’s medical insurance coverage has changed.
  • Your child has significant medical, educational, or psychological needs.

Any of these situations can be grounds to request a modification of child support. There is no guarantee that a court will approve a change in child support absent an agreement of the parties; however, the request may be heard by the presiding judge and any substantial change in circumstances considered.

It’s ideal to discuss your situation with your ex-spouse before submitting a request for modification. If you and your ex agree on the new terms, it will speed up the process of approval and implementation of the new order.

Child support orders are a crucial part of aiding your child’s stability and welfare. It’s unreasonable to expect that your circumstances will always remain the same, and in these situations, you have the right to pursue a change in your support order. It is important to consult with an experienced attorney to talk about your specific situation and how best to proceed.